The Premier Landmark in London ‘The Shard’ Opens in 2012
London has some the finest architecture in the world intermingled among a plethora of famous landmarks. Hence it came as no surprise when rich Qataris decided to build ‘The Shard’ in the now oh so trendy area of Southwark in this fabulous capital city.
‘The Shard’ is now officially open and it immediately rests the mantle as what will be the ‘Jewel in the Crown’ of high rise super towers in London Town for decades to come.
‘The Shard’ Showcased
• 72 occupiable floors.
• Hotel with more than 200 rooms and suites.
• Exclusive apartments.
• Three floors of restaurants.
• Viewing gallery.
• Highest Building in Europe.
• Ranked 59th in the list of the world’s tallest buildings.
• Architect Renzo Piano.
• Construction began in 2003.
• Cost to build more than 450 million UK Pounds.
• Services contractor Arup
• Main Contractor Mace
• The public viewing gallery will be located on the 72nd floor, at a height of 245 metres – 804 ft, and is expected to draw over two million visitors a year once it opens in February 2013.
• At present all office space is unlet but when fully occupied the complex is estimated to have a net worth of 2.5 billion UK Pounds.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to let all the office and retail outlets given that the United Kingdom is still mired in deep recession plus supporting a UK banking sector that is corrupt – dysfunctional and grossly incompetent.
Impressive what will come next in London to compete with The Shard aka Shard London Bridge aka The Shard of Glass.
The Premier Landmark in London ‘The Shard’ Opens in 2012…
The 1,016ft Shard, made to look like a sliver of glass, was unveiled by the Duke of York and the PM of joint-owners Qatar. Official opening day July 5, 2012.